We pledge to:
- Develop new, youth-friendly social action opportunities.
- Promote and celebrate the positive role young people can play through social action.
- Ensure young people have a voice and are represented in decision-making through our young placechangers programme.
The Young Placechangers programme engages and empowers young people to take the lead on changing the places where they live. The programme has three core elements drawn from community placemaking principles and youth work approaches:
- Young people and youth workers will be given training both in residential settings and in local clusters
- The Ideas Fund will support and fund activity & deliver quick-wins
- Support from peers and ‘place professionals’ will inspire and enthuse the young people to get involved in their local areas
Through peer facilitation and training the programme gives young people, youth workers and other adults that support them, the skills and confidence to engage with others in their communities to act to improve the environmental quality, biodiversity, playability and vibrancy of neighbourhoods – and, in the process, change attitudes and mindsets. The current programme (March 2018 – March 2020) is partnership between greenspace Scotland and Youth Scotland supported by Scottish Government and the Heritage Lottery fund